As a parent, you are the absolute expert on your child. You have that intuition and that knowledge about your little one that no one else in the world has. You know their cries, you know what ticks them off, you know when something they are doing or NOT doing is really concerning to you. If you have ever felt that your child might need some extra help, Babynet is where to start. This post will provide a variety of videos about what Babynet is, what they provide, what to expect and really where to start. There is so much information out there already, but my hope is really to break it down into steps that are simple to follow and understand. Not much about this process is simple or easy to understand, for that matter, so I hope that this information will help guide you to the services you are seeking.
STICK WITH ME UNTIL THE END.....I PROMISE YOU WON'T REGRET SEEING THE OUTCOME OF OUR EARLY INTERVENTION JOURNEY-PLUS THE STILL IMAGES AT THE START OF SOME OF MY VIDEOS ARE QUITE COMICAL! ENJOY!
What if I think my child may not be developing at the rate of their peers?
What is BABYNET?
What are the steps of the process?
Step one: You submit a referral to Babynet. Anyone with concerns for a child's development can submit this referral: parent, teacher, family members, friend-Here is the direct link for a referral. https://babynet.scdhhs.gov/prebabynet/ This document is also a great resource to guide you through this process: Babynet Family Guide
You will be contacted by Babynet to confirm your referral information and set up a time for your intake evaluation.
3. A Babynet intake coordinator will either come to your home or you will go to their office to complete an intake evaluation.
4. The intake coordinator will provide you with results that day regarding whether or not your child is eligible for services.
5. If your child is eligible to receive services, you will need to choose a service coordinator, which is an early intervention company in your area. Here is a list of Early Intervention companies in your county. (enter your county name, click on family services, first drop down menu: enter Babynet, second drop down menu enter: Early Intervention)
6. You will notify your intake coordinator of your choice of early intervention company.
7. Your early intervention company will contact you to set up an initial meeting.
8. The life changing intervention begins........
I know this is a daunting process to even begin but it can truly change your child's life. Remember you hold the reigns through the process. If you are uncomfortable with the process or do not agree with a decision from a provider, you are able to voice that opinion or choose to not move forward. I'd like to share a video of my son, Andrew, that I have not shared on this blog yet. This video spans many years(IN THE BEGINNING I AM VERY PREGNANT-SO BE KIND), but it truly shows the impact early intervention had on his life. I believe it changed his life. We promise this video is not a plug for our company. It is to showcase the value and impact of early intervention. Andrew and Davis are thriving and are chugging right along with their peers. They are both in regular-ed classrooms with no pull out services. They receive OT once a week, at CTS4K, but have graduated from speech and physical therapy. These services can change the trajectory of your child's life. Put in the work, lean into the process, and I promise you will never look back!